ALWD is a non-profit professional association of directors of legal reasoning, research, writing, analysis, and advocacy programs from law schools throughout the United States, Canada and Australia. ALWD has more than 200 members representing more than 150 law schools.
The mission of the Association of Legal Writing Directors is to pursue activities such as the following to help law schools provide excellent legal writing instruction:
- Supporting the administration of legal writing programs,
- Enhancing the leadership skills and professional development of legal writing professionals,
- Encouraging and supporting research and scholarship in, and development of, the discipline of legal writing, and
- Advocating on behalf of the discipline within the academy and the legal profession.
ALWD is dedicated to improving legal education and the analytic, reasoning, and writing abilities of lawyers. It has a number of programs including:
- Sponsoring a major biennial conference to share information and improve LRRW programs generally
- Publishing information about LRRW and curriculum design
- Funding scholarship in the LRRW field by LRRW professors
- Providing many resources for LRRW faculty
- Developing and supporting the ALWD Citation Manual